Anxiety has become a topic more openly talked about. You must control your thoughts and mind before it controls you and takes over your daily life. Everyone has different triggers.
1. Meditation/ Deep Breathing: You hear people saying it all the time. But you don’t think that sitting down and chanting “OHM” with your eyes closed will work for you. If you fidget around a lot or don’t find it therapeutic, use guided meditation apps. You can set a reminder to show up for yourself and set your intention to start or end your day.
2. Essential Oils: Lavender,Serenity, Breathe. Placing oils in a diffuser or using them topically is a great way to ease your mind and bring you back to the present moment.
3. Gratitude Journaling: Writing down at least 3 things you’re grateful for. It doesn’t have to be anything to complicated. If you’re not happy with your situation, be grateful the sun is out, or the rain. Your first breath you took this morning.
4. Exercise: Find an outlet that works best for you. Yoga, Running, Spinning, Weight Lifting, etc. It truly does release those happy endorphins and can control how you deal with anxiety. Make the workout a mind and body experience. Push your body more than your mind is telling you to go. The mind always wants to quit but the energy you feel after you fought past those doubtful thoughts can be exhilarating.
5. Healthy Gut Bacteria: Studies show that mental problems can derive from having an imbalance of healthy gut bacteria. It’s kind of hard to make sure that isn’t the issue in your case but supplementing with a probiotic of your choice can help decrease symptoms. I personally use a great pre and probiotic duo that works wonders.
6. Ditch Caffeine and Alcohol: Having a drink of alcohol when you’re feeling anxious can calm your nerves but once the buzz goes away the feelings will most likely return. Along with caffeine that just makes your more jittery and will definitely make you feel even more anxious.
My Personal Experience
Anxiety was something I dealt with for a long time. I used to have to hide in the bathroom from having a panic attack and try to meditate when I first became a nurse. It was nerve wrecking having people’s lives on my hands. I used to have to pull over on the side of the highway because I thought I was going to pass out while I drove. Sometimes even going to the grocery store seemed impossible.
I started choosing my gratitude journal before looking at my phone when I woke up and put all the daily tasks aside for just 5 minutes to put myself first. Meditation and stretching before bed and essential oils in my oil diffuser, on myself as perfume.
Unfortunately doctors try to give you one easy fix and prescribe medications that forces you to be dependent on and the side effects can cause even more anxiety or be in a constant stupor. You have to show up for yourself. Choose you, not a pill. These 7 remedies can help you re-wire your brain to gain control of your life.