Let’s talk about re-wiring your circadian rhythm. While everyone you know is sleeping and you’re awake saving lives; it can be hard to find restful sleep and keep a healthy work/ personal life balance. Sleeping during the day and working at night can be a huge struggle to function on your days on and off of work. Here are some helpful strategies to help you achieve better sleep habits.
- Properly relaxing before bed is very important!
- You can slow down and feel sleepy by deep breathing and light stretching.
- Take a warm shower or bath.
- Black out curtains to block out the sunlight.
- Calming music in the background (classical or nature sounds) sometimes can be necessary when lawn maintenance is going on.
- Turning off electronics or staying off them an hour before bed (the blue light in our phones and tv screens keep our brain awake).
- Aromatherapy oil diffusers (lavender, lemon, eucalyptus).
- Reading a book.
- Slowed learning and thinking, which is vital when taking care of critical patients.
- Increased risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, etc.
- Decreased libido.
- Aging skin.
- Weight gain.
Whatever works for your schedule, if you have children and can’t fall asleep until night time at 10pm or falling asleep right after a shift at 9am, these tips will help for a deeper and more restful sleep. The body adapts very quickly so once you establish your sleep routine everything will get better.